Jul 9, 2026

Testing… testing… testing…

We are all of us preoccupied with tests.

When we are kids, we all get to take those standardized tests in school (although not having children I wonder if they are still doing that). For my peers and I that meant being given two pencils and a form that could be scanned by a computers where you filled in ovals with your answers be it A, B, C, D or E.

After you got past those tests in the lower grades, the next big round of tests you got was the SATs. I never took an SAT but I did take a PSAT and scored well. Go figure. It didn’t really do me so much good as I wound up dropping out of high school and then going back to get a GED later when I couldn’t get myself a demeaning low level job and was angry and annoyed about it. Needless to say, the GED thing was a piece of cake and after a night class of a month or so I aced that. Never mind I was ready to graduate midway through my junior year and only a credit or two short before I transferred from prep school to local NYC public high schools where there were metal detectors and education was something of a joke.

Now that I’m older, I get to have the fun of different kinds of test but these tests are even more important then ever before! These are the medical tests!

They are CT Scans, MRIs and Colonoscopies where they look inside of you to figure out where your body went wrong or things have gone awry.

This past week, I had another one of these CT scans, another test. The thing went well and what’s wild is that now, I can log in and actually read the report and look at the images to see everything. One group of doctors orders the test and then I take the info, download it and then upload it so another group of doctors are in the loop.

It’s really kind of amazing when you think about it but a lot of the hoops I jump through are because of the Byzantine way insurance and the whole medical bullshit is set up.

If my doctor who works with a particular hospital arranges for a test it can cost me thousands of dollars but if I arrange the test myself and get the preapproval and all of the lined up it only costs me the $160 dollar co-pay. Think about that… one is a bill for over $14k and the other is $160 out of pocket and tell me again that everything works!

Anyway, I’m off this week and doing self maintenance but checking in on work to keep things moving. That’s some vacation, right? Nonetheless, I don’t want my life to be crazy so this is what I do to keep the waters still. Today I will go see the Supergirl movie, pick up rock salt to salt the earth and kill some unwanted greenery, buy flowers for someone for their birthday and likely go to the local food pantry to gloom some food and coupons for the local farmer’s market. Plus there are other assorted errands to run. It seems like a day but I never get enough done and today, I only managed to wash the dishes and order new drapery for a specific window and nap.

I live an exciting life to be sure but it’s all good as I binge watch Severance.

No comments: